Our History

Located in Stillwater, “the birthplace of Minnesota”, our church’s history harkens back to the introduction of the Methodist faith in Minnesota. The First United Methodist Church of Stillwater traces it’s roots back to two separate congregations in the nineteenth century.

Methodist ministry in the St. Croix Valley began in 1841, and in 1846 the Methodist Episcopal Church began holding services in Stillwater under the leadership of Rev. J. W. Putnam. According to historical records, “The first church was built of unseasoned lumber at a cost of $1332, and was dedicated November 1854.” A second, larger building, on North Third Street, took its place in 1870.

Meanwhile, Swedish speaking Methodists began mission work in Stillwater in 1870.   This congregation built a church at the corner of Myrtle and Fourth Street which was dedicated in 1883. The congregations merged in 1945 and worshiped together in the Myrtle Street building.

In 1955 the congregation purchased the Greeley Mansion on the corner of Greeley and Myrtle Street where the congregation built its current facility. The sanctuary was completed in 1960.

Watch for more information about our church’s history.

Comments are closed.